Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Ohio Supplemental Security Income Lawyer
Cleveland SSI Attorney
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits
Even if you qualify, it can still be hard to get approved for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. The government is more worried about keeping people from “gaming” the system than it is about getting benefits to people who need them. You need to prove that you truly need benefits.
At Shifrin Newman Smith Inc., we know how to prove disability. We have handled Social Security and SSI cases exclusively since we first opened in 1985. Our attorneys are passionate about helping clients, and we have a reputation for getting results that seem impossible.
What is Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?
SSI is a government program designed to help disabled individuals who can’t work. You may have an income and still qualify for SSI benefits, but there are limits to how much you can make. These income limitations vary depending on your age, marital status and the source of your income.
How do I qualify for SSI?
To qualify for SSI benefits, you have to meet the same standards for disability as you would for Social Security Disability (SSD). Do you:
- Make less than the monthly income limit? (click here and scroll down to “Information for people who receive SSI” to find out) If not, go to question two.
- Does your medical condition affect your ability to work? If it does, go to question three.
- Is your impairment at least as severe as one on the government’s listing of impairments? (To see the listing, click here for an adult and click here for a child) If it is, you are legally disabled. If it isn’t, go to step four.
- Can you do any job that you held in the last 15 years? If so, you are not legally disabled. Otherwise, go to step five.
- Can you do any other job? Data entry? Flipping burgers? With some exceptions: If you can, you are not disabled; If you can’t, you are disabled.
Once you’ve determined that you are disabled, the next step is proving it to the government. That’s the tricky part — and a lawyer can help you get the details right. For a free disability consultation at Shifrin Newman Smith Inc., call 877-230-5500 or contact us online.
If we don’t win, you don’t pay.